Green Tea


"Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one." (Ancient Chinese Proverb) - chinesefood

Morning lovelies! Do you know of the benefits of Green tea? Ok, maybe you already heard stuff like "detoxify", "cleanse", and helps dark eye circles. Well, that is what sales and friends have been telling me and there are probably "millions"...
of products (eye creams, lotions, fragrance) out in the market to cash on it.

Since I was healthy and had fairly good skin then, I wasn't exactly that bothered to read up on the benefits. By that I mean I didn't even type "Green Tea" into goggle. But, ever since my granny was diagnosed with 4th stage cancer last year which she thankfully recovered from, (Which is a miracle, that I'll elaborate more in another post if you request) but yes, from then I have become more conscious of living and staying healthy.

Health is one that money cannot buy and it requires tender loving care to maintain. Besides safety, I feel health should be on our top priorities because without it, nothing else matters.

However, being alone here, having to juggle countless things such as a failed relationship, work, studies, friends and the "never seem to end" household chores, a unhealthy lifestyle of poor diet, late nights and lack of exercise developed. As a result, I am constantly breaking out and tired. Now, when I look into the mirror, all I see is pimples, whitehead, blackhead, ache! It's really depressing.

So before I rush into the stores to save my face, shouldn't I first educate myself by doing some research? Because when it comes to talking about these products, how much do we know about each? How much extract actually goes into one? Do you or I know or actually believe the labels on the bottle? Lastly, how long do we have to use it so results can be seen?

I would say I am very skeptical when it comes to beauty products because it takes more than words to bring me to the cashier. So although there're some very persuasive and eloquent beauty advisors around, whom all amazingly seem to have clear skin, who will use that as a pretext to sell their product, I never once believe them. This is because I worked in a cosmetic line before and I was employed with the basic requirement of having clear skin, so hey, it’s not because I used their products!

Brochures with visible results on the models, I personally feel all of them are airbrushed with perfect skin. So more than 90% of the time, I walk away. So far, samples work best on me. I see results, I return.

Anyway, back to green tea, since I have started panicking, I found out it...
  • “Green tea is made from unfermented leaves and reportedly contains the highest concentration of powerful antioxidants called polyphenols.” 
  • It’s a more effective antioxidant than black tea. “free radicals contribute to the aging process as well as the development of a number of health problems, including cancer and heart disease” Therefore, antioxidants helps “neutralize free radicals and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause.”
  • acts as a “astringent (to control bleeding and help heal wounds)” so it will heals wounds cause by breakouts!
  • “promoting digestion”
  • “boost metabolism and help burn fat”
  • “lowers total cholesterol and raises HDL ("good") cholesterol”
  • “both green and black teas help protect against cancer”
  • “benefit arthritis by reducing inflammation and slowing cartilage breakdown”
  • "treat everything from headaches to depression",
  • reduced the risk of cancer, inhibits the growth of cancer cells,
  • prevents abnormal formation of blood clots, helps prevent heart attack.
  • prevents tooth decay,
  • “Green tea also seems to protect the liver from the damaging effects of toxic substances such as alcohol”
  • If you’re diabetic, green tea “control blood sugar…help regulate glucose in the body”
So, with all these benefits, I decided to give it a go by drinking at least 2 to 3 cups daily. It’s been 2 weeks now and I made a mask with it too and I do feel cleaner, healthier and the breakouts are slowing down. I will continue to see if my skin clears up. If my skin really clears up, I will share the mask formula and put up pictures of my scary pimples. I don’t want to give any of you false hopes if it doesn’t clear up for real.

Anyway, green tea to me is not very tasty when drink plain, so most times, I add honey for sweetness. Do not use sugar if you looking to lose weight. If you prefer a refreshing drink, add a slice of lemon and ice on top of it. Let’s cheers to health!

Important! As green tea contains caffeine, it will result in insomnia if you drink it say before bedtime! Since, it's not advisable to drink water 30 minutes before bedtime because that will result in puffy eyes due to water retention. This footnote serves as a caution!


(source: 1.2.3)